5 more days. Thank God for that. I am so sick of hearing Bush and Cheney and all of their cronies on TV trying to make their actions over the last eight years seem like sunshine and daisies. It’s a load of shit. Plain and simple, they are trying to re-write history before the stink of their term has even started to get cleaned up. Cheney on News Hour last night was enough to put me over the edge. I’m going to leave alone all of the justifications for torture, the insistence that they have kept America safe while ignoring the fact that 9/11 happened on their watch, the refusal to admit any mistakes (calling them underestimations), and the blame that keeps being placed on bad intelligence. What really pissed me off is that Cheney still insists that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and that there was a link between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida:
This stuff has been debunked so many times. Iraq did not have WMD. Saddam Hussein did not have links to al-Qaida. We all know it isn’t true, and yet they insist on spewing this stuff as truth. They really think that Americans are so stupid that we will forget what truly happened and let them re-write history. Well, I for one am not fooled. I really hope I’m not alone.
Not only do I remember that those original claims weren’t true, but I also remember how every time one of their reasons for war was debunked or when people realized they were changing reasons, they just changed the reasons again. Remember all of these:
- Because Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Because Saddam supported al-Qaida
- Because Saddam was killing his own people
- Because Iraq is where the Terrorists are (now)
- Because we wanted to bring democracy to the Middle East
- Because we need a long term military presence in the Middle East
- Because “God inspired me to hit al Qaeda, and so I hit it. And I had the inspiration to hit Saddam, and so I hit him.” - W
- Because Saddam was planning so many nasty things!
- Because Saddam might create tie with terrorists
- Because Iraq is central to the “War on Terror”
How many more were there??
One good outcome of the election is that the people who believe in truth won resounding victories in both houses of Congress and the Presidency. So it is up to those of us who believe in truth to make sure Bush, Co. is not allowed to edit the historical record. We won. We get to write it, not you!